Wednesday, March 9, 2011

it's the most wonderful time of the year

Just for the sake of consistency, I'm going to post another video. Because on the Sseko compound this is the most wonderful time of the year, and no picture would do today justice.

The most beautiful moment happened on our compound today: all of the new Sseko girls found out their exam results. Now let me explain something.... these exams are hardcore and determine so much for these girls. Think SAT's, but if you only got to take them once. And if only those scores determined which school you got into and what you got to study. That's a whole heck of a lot of pressure for an 18 year old girl to bear on her shoulders. And today, all that pressure was relieved.

Just to explain the video a little bit, the girls scores were sent to their school and then they were able to call in and get the numeric score for each section of the tests. I had the pleasure of being present for each of these moments, and I think that today will be a day I will always remember.... I started crying tears of joy and pride right along with these girls.

It's official. The Sseko girls are going to attend university in the fall. And I couldn't be more proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

at the cottage