Friday, March 11, 2011

"i want to buy a boda boda"

Before Ben and Liz left Uganda, we had a company farewell dinner, during which they asked Julie and I a few questions.... One of them was "What moment has been the most rewarding for you in your work with Sseko thus far?"

It didn't take me long to think of an answer. I was immediately reminded of a wonderful afternoon I spent helping all our women come up with personal financial plans. I know, I know... the words "wonderful afternoon" and "financial plans" shouldn't be in the same sentence. But let me explain myself.

In college I majored in finance, but it wasn't because I just loved the subject. It was because I thought that one day I could help people with it. I went through accounting classes, banking classes, investment analysis classes... the works. And I knew I wasn't going to enter a traditional financey-type-job. I wasn't going to work for a big four accounting firm, on Wall street, or the trading floor of and oil and gas company. I was going to work for a not-just-for-profit company in Africa. Were these skills I was learning in class going to translate? I didn't know for sure.... but I hoped.

Well, turns out they do. I was able to sit down with each of the girls and help them make up personal savings plans. I got to sit across the table from each of them and hear about their savings-dreams.... Amelia wants to save so she can buy her mom some furniture for their house. Betty wants to save so she can afford to stay in a dorm close to campus next semester. Allen wants to save so she can send her daughter to school. And Joyce, well Joyce's savings-dream was my favorite. Joyce wants to buy a boda boda- a taxi-type motorcycle that can be rented out to drivers and provide a steady stream of income for her and her family. It's going to take her about a year and a half to save for her boda, but I believe she can do it.

Making a plan to achieve your dreams makes them far less daunting and out of reach. And because of my education, I was able to help the girls set forth that plan.

Not everything I learned in school is applicable here... I've never had to look for arbitrage opportunities in the stock market and I've never had to analyze trends for a commercial bank.... but who actually gets to apply everything they learn in college anyways? I'm just thankful that I'm seeing opportunities to use my degree in finance for the betterment of the Sseko ladies... because it makes my education mean something to me. It makes me more thankful for it. And it makes me even more excited for these girls to receive university-level education as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

at the cottage