Sunday, September 26, 2010

what an interview can do

A week or so ago a photographer named Lane Davis came and visited the Sseko workshop. He was traveling around the African continent taking pictures, and had a couple spare days in Kampala, so he came to check out Sseko..... and last week he did a great post on us: http://totellastory.org/2010/09/22/sseko-designs-interview/


Doing that interview for the post was really good for me. I have an amazing job and work for an amazing company that does amazing things.... but some days I forget that. There are moments when I get overwhelmed with orders from suppliers, or getting shipments out, or reading up on the investment code to make sure we register for the right license... It was good for me to be asked about the heart of Sseko, about our incredible girls, about our hopes and dreams... Because I don't ever want this to become just-a-job. Being here is something that is very meaningful to me, and I don't want that to change.


It's funny (or not so funny, I guess) how I tend to forget things that are really important to me if I don't remind myself of them... or have someone else around reminding me. Things as little as forgetting about a restaurant I really enjoy eating at, but also things as big as my purpose in Uganda, and even my purpose on this earth. One of my college roommates, Claire Berger, used to always talk about preaching the gospel to each other, and how we needed to do it everyday so we didn't forget. At first I thought that sounded like a little bit much, but I see so much wisdom in that now. Life happens fast and it is important to refocus and be reminded of whats really important.

I almost wish that I could be interviewed everyday. That everyday, I would have someone asking me why I'm doing what I'm doing... why I'm living the way I am... why. I guess I'll just have to make more effort to ask those questions of myself, to stop and examine my heart more often to make sure I'm never just going through the motions.

1 comment:

  1. Cameron you are surely great at giving interviews! This was so wonderfully done. I like the video too

    ReplyDelete

at the cottage