I watched Captain Planet as a kid... and all I really remember from that show was the moment that all the kids with the rings and the special abilities from nature would put their hands together in a circle and shout: "with our powers combined..." and the out of now where, "I am Captain Planet!"
(Ridiculous reference, I know.... BUT bear with me)
Last week my bosses in the States (Ben and Liz) had the chance to go to a weekend conference in California where other social businesses were able to get together to collaborate and update one another on different sectors.... There were around a dozen companies there. Companies like TOMS Shoes, Krochet Kids, Ember Arts, and Sseko Designs (of course). These companies all do different things... They have different business plans, different products, different approaches to the way they think the principles of social business should be applied, but there is a common thread. When they all get together, something great happens. Captain Planet doesn't come bursting out of this circle of people, but with our powers combined, I think something truly great can take place.
I love that there are companies out there that are similar to ours, and that not only do they exist, but we actually get to rub shoulders with them. There is a movement starting in the realm of business, and it is so cool to watch it happen. Companies are starting to care. They are finding ways to be profitable and socially conscious. This is a beautiful movement.
And this beautiful movement, I am seeing more and more that the redemptive nature of the gospel is not limited to the "religious" realm. This world is a broken, dark, and messed up place. I got a really great e-mail from a friend this week who passed along this quote from a man who was explaining the concept of salvation to his son.... He said that sin isn't just about feeling guilty. It is about how the whole world seems broken into a million tiny pieces... And those pieces fight against each other. Against other people, against creation, against God, even against ourselves. But restoration is possible... little glimpses of it now, and one day in full. We can try to put together the broken pieces... when we do things like picking up litter, or sitting by the lonely kid at school, or providing a job for a woman who wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to work, or something as small as buying fair trade chocolate chips at the grocery store. There are these little acts of restoration we can do everyday to fix the broken things in this world. And in the end, like Tim Keller says, it will somehow be greater for having once been broken.
Whether they realize it or not, these businesses are reacting to the brokenness that sin has brought into the world and seeking to do their part in it's restoration. I think in some way everyone senses that this world is not right, and I am glad that people and now businesses are acting on those feelings. And that they are drawn together... and as cheesy and idealistic as at may sound, they are moving toward restoration and building a more beautiful world together... powers combined.
Tuesday, August 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment