Friday, April 15, 2011

a world away

Today Uganda feels so far away... I'm in the States at the moment for my college-roommate's wedding. Going back and forth between the US and Uganda has always been an interesting experience.... they always feel like different worlds, but today I am experiencing an even stronger sense of that.

There are riots in Kampala right now. I heard about them yesterday (here's BBC article for more info), and honestly wasn't too concerned.... The presidential candidate who lost the election to the 25-year reigning Museveni was organizing some protests about the rising food and fuel prices. My roommates back in Kampala said that things were pretty tense and they heard gunshots throughout the day, but that just seemed like some of the post-election violence we experienced about a month ago.

Today was a different story though. The riots hit close to home: students at Makerere University began protesting rumored tuition increases. They started burning tires in the street and making a general ruckus... and not just on any street. But our street. Nanfumbambi Road. Apparently those acts were more fascinating than frightening, but then the police showed up to subdue the protesters and the intensity rose.


I got a full report of the events that took place in our neighborhood from Julie over skype this morning. I was sitting on the couch in College Station, Texas... about to leave for a manicure appointment with the other bridesmaids, and I was hearing stories about gunshots on our street and tear gas canisters that exploded on our compound.

My friends are all safe, just shaken up... But it was so strange for me being here, and them being there.... experiencing that.


So today, Uganda feels far.

No comments:

Post a Comment

at the cottage